Thursday 22 May 2008

RGG show 17 May 2008

Absolutely knackered. Just been too pre-occupied to be placing entries lately. Nevertheless, I shall sit back for a moment here and talk about what happened on that exciting day.

I do frequent Manchester quite a bit, mainly for the dim sums, really. However, after having been to Richard Goodall Gallery, little that I know there were so many amazing stores in that particular area; cool records store, Carhartt, look-alike drug stores and etc. I even came across an album by Natural Calamity (previously mentioned here) at this used-record store, but it was priced at a whopping £25! Shrugs...

So then, fuck that. I made my way to RGG and it was my first time going into that store. I've heard about it ages ago and made ONE transaction before (for the Tiger Dunny). Unfortunately, it freakin' rained all day so it absolutely washed away the thought of taking a snapshot of the store front. Despite the store's infamous prices, I must say it sure has a lot of goodies.

Right away, I recognized Anna, Teese and Shakey already inside; Kathie and Brandt sketching away while Sas and Colin chillin' at the couch. All day, people were coming and out so there wasn't really a huge crowd at any particular time. Apparently, it was the Cup's finals, so I supposed people were either home or at a pub watching tv.

It was a thrilling moment to actually meet them in person, particular Kathie. Who would have thought these big name artists would make their way to the UK. Having said that, I shall be missing out on the next RGG signings cum release of the 3-bears / dunnys. Shoot! Would have loved to meet the TADO-duo and Mr. Burgerman.

So I got my sketches from both Kathie and Brandt (see them on my flickr). Guess who popped in next? Good ol' Doktor A, and it was like the bomb yea? Two big name artists (more like five actually), Kathie Olivas and Doktor A meeting up. Basically two of my favourite artists were there, so my imaginations began to run wild. "... let's see a collaboration between these two... hm..."

Anna and I sort of introduced ourselves (though we speak to the Dok lots at the O3 forum) through our Dok A custom commissions. Bit weird, yeah I know, but trust me, it is easier to associate yourself to a piece of toy in 'our world'. And so he told me how my commissioned custom Dumb Luck gave him troubles by constantly falling over and to actually begin customizing on. Like we previously talked about in the email; both of us agreed that it is already quite a complete (maybe almost perfect) toy in itself. Bottom line is, the commission came out fantastic still.

Dok even showed us shots of the upcoming Mechtorians in his camera. They look fantastic. Only then I realized my Mr. Head was missing a turn-key. Dok went beyond by sending me a PM today to see if I needed a replacement turn-key. Luckily I found it, barely lost and forgotten in the box that it came in.

So then all of us took a break for lunch, the O3 bunch of us obviously headed over to Chinatown for some delicious dim sums. Chicken feet? Hell yeah!

We got back to the gallery and I got a KO BP collab print. Teese, Shakey and I were the only ones by then. I wouldn't have wanted to leave so soon anyway. So, imagine hanging out with five artists for a drink at a bar, then dinner over at Wagamama. Colin and Sas are absolutely fantastic people with outstanding sense of humour. Of course, with Shakey and Teese there, everything just lightens up naturally.

Cheers to Sas for the dinner treat!

I suppose with very limited shows to attend, it makes even more meaningful particularly when you get to attend one as good as this.


n i c k

2 comments:

Teese said...

Hehehehe just stumbled across your blog ^.^ Glad you had a great time at that show cos we did too!!

Shame we didnt see you this weekend for the 3 bears but hopefully there'll be more UK shows in the future!

Even without shows it's nice to just be able to meet up with people with the same interests as each other and just have a bite to eat or a drink and a nice long chat!

nick + said...

Great people makes up part of the big fun!

If things go the way I would like them to, you will be seeing more of my face.

Can't wait for the next meet up.