Saturday 26 January 2008

Jason Jacenko aka. Atomika

Recently getting all absorbed into Jason Jacenko's works. I must admit that I am a little slow on discovering his works, since he has been around in the art scene for a while. It is only the past year that I kept coming across his works (art and custom toys) in the forums and couple of art shows.

One can observe and relate his works to tattoos. As a matter of fact, Jason started off as a tattooist in the 90s. It's amazing to see so much in common between the two 'mediums' (canvas/custom toys vs skin) that he is able to come up with. Personally, the more I look at his works, the more I can imagine they definitely look better ending up on somebody's back or arm.

Very surreal, and that's what I like about it. I still think he has something that stands out from the works of other artists out there. I can relate his works to those of Craola Simkins, Mark Ryden, Chet Zar (those few whom he draws inspirations from) However, I still get drawn more to his works. I suppose by now, I have already established a noticable trend in the kind of arts I like. Subjective, yes.


Couple of impressive works (non-toy):-




Even more impressive are the custom toy pieces:-

How does he do it? They look stunning! I should have known Jason sooner and grabbed a custom piece off him when I was spending my years in Melbourne.

An interview with Jason Jacenko, made March '07,
here
Homepage
DeviantArt site

No comments: